The first few questions in the Board of Review should be simple. The Board of Review should try to gain a sense of how the Scout is fitting in to the Troop, and the Scout’s level of enjoyment of the Troop and Patrol activities.
Encourage advancement to 2nd Class. Point out that the Scout may have already completed many of the requirements for 2nd Class.
The approximate time for this Board of Review should be 15-20 minutes.
- When did you join our Troop?
- How many Troop meetings have you attended in the last two months?
- What did you do at your last patrol meeting?
- Tell us about your last Troop campout.
- How would the first aid skills you must know for Tenderfoot help on a campout?
- Where did you learn how to fold the American flag? Tell us about your first experience with this skill.
- How would you avoid poison oak (poison ivy, sumac)?
- Where did you go on your hike? How did you choose the location?
- If you were on a hike and got lost, what would you do?
- Why do we whip or fuse the ends of a rope?
- What is the “Buddy System” that we use in Scouting? When do we use it?
- Why do you think there are physical fitness requirements (push-ups, pull-ups, etc.), and a retest after 30 days, for the Tenderfoot rank?
- What does it mean to a Tenderfoot Scout to “Be Prepared”?
- Do you feel that you have done your best to complete the requirements for Tenderfoot? Why?
- What “good turn” have you done today?
- Please give us an example of how you obey the Scout Law at home (school, church)?
- What do you like best about our Troop?
- What does it mean for a Scout to be “Kind”?
- Do you have any special plans for this summer? The Holidays?
- When do you plan to have the requirements completed for 2nd Class?