Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.
The Merit Badge Process
The Scout Must:
- Obtain a blue card signed by the Scoutmaster after conferencing with the Scoutmaster or Advancement Chairperson (the Scoutmaster or Advancement Chairperson can suggest the name of counselors and provide contact information).
- Contact a counselor BEFORE work is begun on requirements.
- Obtain and use a CURRENT Merit Badge book.
- Wear uniform to appointments with counselor.
The Counselor Must:
- Ask to see Scouts blue card at first meeting.
- Because of the recent fears of child abuse accusation, ALWAYS meet with two or more Scouts to be sure your meetings are proctored in some manner.
- Review all requirements of the badge with Scout to eliminate misunderstanding or confusion concerning his responsibilities.
- Sign the Blue Card ONLY after the Scout has fulfilled ALL requirements AS WRITTEN. NO MORE…NO LESS.
- Keep counselor’s part of Blue Card as record.
- Scout takes signed Blue Card to Scoutmaster
- Scoutmaster signs 2nd half of card and returns it to Scout.
- Scout takes both sections to Advancement Chairperson.
- Advancement Chairperson retains first part of the card for troop records and obtaining actual Merit Badge for presentation.
- Scoutmaster or Advancement Chairperson MUST turn in record on an ADVANCEMENT REPORT to the COUNCIL.
- Scout keeps third section as record of completion and places in Scout Binder.